The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence. This event is generously supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). For those who are interested, see the CD for Biology & Earth Science events and Disease Detectives CD available in the Science Olympiad Store. The 2013 emphasis is on Environmental Quality.
2013 National Tournament Information
Event Supervisors recommend these additional resources:
- Exposure Registries
- NCBI Site on Exposure Registries
- Agency for Toxic Substances & Diseases Registry - Glossary of Terms
Event Supervisors wish to note that the 2013 Disease Detectives event will feature two sections; 1) a text section that will contain background information, narrative, tables and figures and 2) a question and answer section that will contain questions and space for the answers. Directions will be included in the text. The content and questions will be similar to past competitions; the changes will facilite scoring.
- 2013 Training Power Point - NEW!
- 2013 Training Handout - NEW!
- 2013 Event Supervisor Guide - NEW!
- 2012 Training Handout
- 2012 Event Supervisor Handout
- 2012 Training Power Point
- Food Borne Illness Handout
- Elementary Sample Exam/Answers 2011
- Event Supervisor Tips (2011) (PDF)
- 2011 Disease Detectives Power Point (PPT)
- 2011 Training Handout (PDF)
- 2007 Div. B National exercise/Answers (PDF)
- 2007 Div. C National exercise/Answers (PDF)
- Training Handout (2008) (PDF)
- Training Handout (2009) (PDF)
- Training Handout (2010) (PDF)
- Sample Exercise (PDF)
2013 Emphasis - Environmental Quality
- Centers for Disease Control Career Paths to Public Health
- NEW LINK! Online CDC Textbook, "Principles of Epidemiology"
- Disease Detectives Event
- Resource Center for Teachers and students
- National Center for Environmental Health formed by the CDC
- MMWR website - Morbidity and Mortality Weekly
- NCEH Kids Page - Virus Encounters
- Science Ambassador Program - Lesson Plans and more
- Principles of Epidemiology (CDC Online introduction to epidemiology textbook)
- Epiville (Outbreak Simulation Columbia University)
- Montclair State University - Middle School Epidemiology Curriculum
- The College Board Young Epidemiology Scholars (YES) Program
- National Institutes of Health – Emerging & Re-emerging Infectious Diseases
- Bad Bug Book- A compendium of bacteria, viruses, parasites and other causes of foodborne illness
- John Snow - UCLA site
- BAM - CDC Office of Communication website for middle school kids
- University of Pittsburgh Epidemiology Super course Website
- Population Growth Concerns
- Ecology of Increasing Disease
- Outbreak at Watershed (Online Game)
- Science Mystery (Online Game)
- Buffet Busters (Online Game)
Glossaries and Dictionaries