Disease Detectives win big at the YES Competition
The College Board's Young Epidemiology Scholars (YES) Competition and Science Olympiad have partnered to increase student and teacher interest in epidemiology by cross-promoting the YES Competition with a Science Olympiad signature event, Disease Detectives. Together, YES and Science Olympiad will challenge competitors to use their investigative skills to study disease, injury and health in human populations, and will reward students and teachers for their achievement via participation in national tournaments and conferences, scholarships, travel and professional development. In 2010, Anisha Mudaliar, a Science Olympiad participant from California, won a $15,000 YES scholarship for her work studying youth-onset diabetes. Way to go, Anisha!
Annually, the YES Competition awards 120 scholarships to high school juniors and seniors, with a grand prize of $50,000! By speaking directly to our audience of motivated and bright students in Disease Detectives and other related Science Olympiad events, YES hopes to attract more competitors to its prestigious research project competition. To promote epidemiology education among high school teachers, YES has awarded Science Olympiad coaches from Georgia, Texas, New York, New Jersey, Missouri and Alabama the opportunity to be a part of the judging panel for the YES national competitions in April 2009 and 2010 in Washington, DC, where they networked with top scholars in the field. At the 2009 and 2010 Science Olympiad National Tournament, YES awarded the two coaches from the gold-medal-winning team in Disease Detectives (Troy HS in Fullerton, CA, in 2009 and Bloomington HS South, IN, in 2010) an expenses-paid trip to the 2010 YES National Competition finals in DC. Students and teachers, get ready -- the next deadline for competition is February 1, 2011!
- September 2010 YES Newsletter introducing the EpiCalendar, 365 days of epidemiology!
- Click here for the 2011 YES Competition Flyer for Science Olympiad students, coaches or State Directors
- Check out the Science Olympiad/Disease Detectives/YES Teacher perspective - Summer 2010 YES newsletter
- Guide for preparing YES research reports
- Check out the Science Olympiad Urban Schools Initiative/YES mention - Fall 2009 YES newsletter
- Click here for a YES Competition Poster! (2009-2010 version)