Science Olympiad Supports Million Women Mentors Initiative
The Million Women Mentors initiative was founded in 2015 to involve 1M women in STEM mentoring roles by 2019 with the goal of increasing female success in STEM programs, apprenticeships, college majors and careers. Science Olympiad was one of the first girl-serving national organizations to join forces with this powerful movement because of a shared desire to inspire more girls to choose STEM. According to STEMconnector research, 71% of jobs in 2018 required STEM skills, but only 15% of female high school students plan to pursue a college major or career in STEM, compared to 44% of males. However, more than 3 in 4 female students interested in STEM careers who have a mentor feel they will be successful pursuing a STEM career.
Science Olympiad was honored to receive the Excellence in Partner Innovation Award at the October 2016 Million Women Mentors Summit in Washington, DC! Together, we can close the gender gap!
- Stand Up for STEM Award - Press Release for Presentation on Million Women Mentors 5th Anniversary to award recipient Illinois State Representative Mary Edly-Allen of Libertyville's 51st District, December 5, 2019 - Official Photo & Congratulatory Letter from MWM-IL Honorary Chair, US Senator Tammy Duckworth
- Million Women Mentors Website
- State of the States Report from 2018 Summit (includes Illinois)
- MWM-IL State Chair Jenny Kopach Articles:
- Senator Duckworth Congratulations Letter 2017
- 2017 Senate Luncheon Release
- Education and Career News Article on STEM Mentoring
- MWM and STEMConnector on Twitter
Science Olympiad has long been a champion of women in STEM, both on competitive teams and in leadership roles throughout the organization. In 2019, women held 50% of State Director, Rules Committee Chair and Executive and Advisory Board roles in Science Olympiad, and roughly half of all competitors on our 7,800 nationwide teams are girls. Jenny Kopach, Science Olympiad's Executive Director and SVP of Marketing Communications, has served as the 5-year Chair of the Million Women Mentors - Illinois initiative, aggregating and amplifying the efforts of STEM providers and producers across the state. A State Steering Committee with Senator Tammy Duckworth as Honorary Chair of Million Women Mentors - Illinois is stacked with powerful leaders in the state STEM landscape. Please email Jenny for more info or if you'd like to join the movement!