Welcome to Disease Detectives! In this event, participants will use their investigative skills in the scientific study of disease, injury, health, and disability in populations or groups of people.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence. This event is presented in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Foundation.
RESOURCES & LINKS
- CDC Science Olympiad page
- 2020 Power Point - Verified Resource!
- 2020 Internet Resources - Verified Resource!
- Food-Borne Illness Chart from the FDA
- Disease Detectives Training Overview Handout
- Disease Detectives Background & Surveillance Notes
- Disease Detectives Outbreak Investigation Notes
- Disease Detectives Patterns, Control, and Prevention Notes
- Links from CDC
- Epiville (Outbreak Simulation Columbia University)
Science Olympiad Store Materials
- Disease Detectives Starter Pack - New for 2022!
- Life Sciences Starter Stack - All the 2022 Bio Events!
- 2022 National Test Packet
- 2021 National Test Packet
- 2020 National Test Packet
- 2019 National Test Packet
- 2018 National Test Packet
PRACTICE PROBLEMS & TESTS
- Practice Test - 2021 UT Austin Invitational
- Practice Test - 2021 BirdSO Invitational
- 2020 Sample Test
- 2019 Sample Test
- 2018 Sample Test
- 2017 Sample Test
- Sample Disease Detective Test & Key - Division B
- Elementary Sample Exam/Answers 2011
EVENT SUPERVISOR RESOURCES
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Disease Detective Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Event Logistics Manual - (Updated 01/05/22 - made a minor edit to Food Science and added the updated ceiling height modifiers for the Flight events) Contains information for the 2022 Event Slate as well as information concerning COVID-19 precautions and Satellite and mini SO tournament formats!
- New! Epidemiology Careers STEM Session
- Center for Disease Control - Career Pathways to Public Health
- STEM Session on Epidemiology (2020)
- STEM Session on Epidemiology (2021)
- Health Science Career Cluster Information
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics - Occupational Outlook: Epidemiologists
- CareerOneStop - Epidemiologist