Questions must be directed toward the rules. We cannot pre-judge your device by answering questions on whether it complies.
- Earth & Space Science
- 2015-10-05 14:26 The rules delineate between "objects" and "systems." Can questions be asked about associated exoplanets or stars for the "objects" listed in this year's rules, or is it limited to only the listed "object."
Yes. Systems will have questions concerning the motions and properties of both the exoplanets and their stars. The exoplanets listed as objects will be dealt with as individual objects though there is the possibility of questions concerning the effects of the exoplanets on their parent stars.
- Dynamic Planet - Div C
- Fossils - Div C
- GeoLogic Mapping
- Inquiry & Nature of Science
- Life, Personal & Social Science
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Cell Biology - Div C
- Disease Detectives - Div C
- Invasive Species - Div C
- 2015-11-12 14:05 My question is about the official national list of invasive species. Under vids, it lists Bird Flu, H5N5. Does this mean only H5N5, or could it include other strains of bird flu? I.e., should the kids really only be researching H5N5?
Yes, H5N5 is the only Bird Flu on the National Official List. Check with your State or Regional Director if they will be using a different list.
- Green Generation - Div C
- Physical Science & Chemistry
- Air Trajectory
- Wind Power - Div C
- 2015-11-12 14:39 Is the CD that the blades are mounted to only held on to the generator by the detent balls on a CD player or can extra support be provided such as double sided adhesive tape to strengthen the joint?
Yes, as long as the tape is easily removable and does not impact other subsequent teams' testing.
- 2015-11-12 14:35 Rules state that "Power generator general questions...."Does this refer to the general question of how electrical power is generated in each of these types of power plants or specifically to the generator itself?
Anything related to power generators in general is a valid question, which could include aspects of the power plants.
- It's About Time
- Protein Modeling
- Chem Lab
- 2015-11-12 13:10 Does Ti- inspire count as non-camera capability calculator?
Yes, the TI-Nspire does count as a non-camera capability calculator. It can be used in the Chem Lab SO competition.
- Technology & Engineering
- Bridge Building - Div C
- 2015-10-29 13:14 Does this mean that the loading block shall be aligned with the centerline of the test base, or is it acceptable for the loading block location to be off to one side as long as it allows for the chain pass through the 20cmx20cm opening of the test?
The loading block is to be aligned with the centerline of the test base which would be the center of the Bridge span when it is placed on the Test Support on one side and the Bearing Zone of the Test Base on the other side.
- 2015-10-29 13:24 Will the 5 by 5 block be secured to the testing apparatus?
No, the 2 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm block will not be secured to the Test Base.
- 2015-10-12 19:36 If the bridge is loaded not to failure of the bridge, but rather the test support falls over, how will the bridge be scored (will there be a second try) ?
If the test support falls over, loading will stop and the weight held at that time will be used to calculate the final score. There will not be a second try at testing the bridge.
- Electric Vehicle
- 2015-11-12 13:15 Can the motor controls contain capacitors (energy storage devices) that are verifiably fully discharged at ready-to run ?
Yes, as long as the capacitors are discharged before the run and any electrical power in the capacitor after the discharge comes from the allowed batteries/cells, then they are allowed.
- 2015-11-12 19:58 The rules say any electronic components are allowed, does this include encoders?
Yes, encoders are allowed.
- 2015-11-12 13:26 Can the vehicle stop (not a "complete stop"), but then go backwards or forwards slowly to get the dowel on to the target point between 9 and 12 meters?
- 2015-10-09 17:37 Does the restriction on sighting, aiming, and guiding devices mean that we can't use a laser pointer to guide our device DURING THE RUN? (rather than, right before we start).
Yes, laser pointers are always to be controlled by human operators (see the general SO policy on lasers at https://www.soinc.org/lasers ) and the vehicle must run autonomously, so laser pointers must not be used during a run.
- Robot Arm
- Wright Stuff
(section: c / line: all)
(section: 2 / paragraph: 1 / line: 4)
(section: 3 / paragraph: b / line: 1)
(section: 4 / paragraph: l / sub-paragraph: ii / line: 1)
(section: 2 / paragraph: A / line: 2)
(section: 3 / paragraph: e / sub-paragraph: N/A / line: N/A)
(section: 4 / paragraph: c / sub-paragraph: i / line: 1)
(section: 5 / paragraph: b / sub-paragraph: i / line: 1)
(section: 2 / paragraph: d / line: 2)
(section: 2 / paragraph: e / line: 2)
(section: 4 / line: para.4)
(section: 4 / paragraph: h / line: 19)