Welcome to Flight! In this event, prior to the tournament, teams will construct, collect data on test flights, analyze and optimize a free flight rubber-powered aircraft to achieve maximum time aloft.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2024 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence. This event is generously supported by the National Free Flight Society! Sign up for a Student Membership today!
RESOURCES & LINKS
- Rules Clarification Issued (09/05/2023)
- Score Sheet and Team Checklist Page
- National Free Flight Society Science Olympiad webpage - Updated with lots of new content for the 2024 Season; including instructional videos, pictures, and narratives detailing, building, trimming, rubber winding, and much more. A great resource for new and experienced teams!
- Division B Plane Building Video - In this 30 minute video the National Free Flight Society shows you how to build a simple plane that will meet the Division B Flight Rules and achieve competitive flight times.
- 2024 National Free Flight Society Coaches Workshop
- 2021 NFFS Workshop Video - A recording of a workshop done by the National Free Flight Society for the 2021 season but still contains good content for the current 2024 event especially regarding basic trim setup, rubber motor knot tying and winding.
- National Free Flight Society Video on Wing Size Adjustments for Boxes
- Minimizing Weight Gain While Maximizing Strength When Gluing Balsa
SO STORE & WARD'S SCIENCE MATERIALS
- Official Flight Kit from Ward's Science
- Digital Download DVD - Flight 1
- Digital Download DVD - Flight 2
EVENT SUPERVISOR RESOURCES
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Flight Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- 2024 Score Sheet and Team Checklist
- Event Logistics Manual