Welcome to Flight! In this event, prior to the competition teams design, construct and test free flight rubber-powered aircraft to achieve maximum time aloft.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence. This event is generously supported by the National Free Flight Society! Sign up for a Student Membership today!
RESOURCES & LINKS
- Score Sheet and Team Checklist Page
- National Free Flight Society Science Olympiad webpage
- National Free Flight Society YouTube Free Flight videos
- Workshop recording - tips & tricks on plane building from the National Free Flight Society
- Sample Penny Plane model
- Wright Stuff Construction Tips
- Minimizing Weight Gain While Maximizing Strength When Gluing Balsa
- Video - Massing your Plane
- Video - Simple Gauge Measurement
- Video - Flight Windows
SO STORE & WARD'S SCIENCE MATERIALS
- Coming soon!
EVENT SUPERVISOR RESOURCES
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Flight Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources: