Welcome to Food Science! In this event, participants will answer questions on food chemistry with a focus on sugars. In addition, participants will build a hydrometer capable of measuring sugar solutions between 1-10% (mass/ volume).
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence.
Resources & Links
SO Store & Ward's Science Materials
- Food Science Starter Pack - New for 2022!
- Official Ward's Science Kit for Science Olympiad Food Science
- Official Ward's Science Kit for Science Olympiad Lab Equipment
Texas Instruments makes material available to Science Olympiad teams through their Educator Loan program. Teams interested in borrowing equipment to practice with learn more about this program here.
Practice Problems & Tests
- 2022 info coming soon!
Event Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Food Science Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Recommended Lab Equipment List
- Event Logistics Manual - Updated for 2022 with new information concerning COVID-19 precautions, running the event in Satellite and mini SO tournament formats,and more tips on the event!