Welcome to Food Science! In this event, participants will answer questions on food chemistry with a focus on sugars. In addition, participants will build a hydrometer capable of measuring sugar solutions between 1-10% (mass/ volume).
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence.
Resources & Links
- Recommended Lab Equipment List
- Food Science Part II Example Rubric
- Food Science Notes PowerPoint
- Workshop recording - Explore Food Science!
SO Store & Ward's Science Materials
- Official Ward's Science Kit for Science Olympiad Food Science
- Official Ward's Science Kit for Science Olympiad Lab Equipment
- 2022 National Test Packet
- 2021 National Test Packet
Texas Instruments makes material available to Science Olympiad teams through their Educator Loan program. Teams interested in borrowing equipment to practice with learn more about this program here.
Practice Problems & Tests
- Practice Test - 2021 UT Austin Invitational
- Practice Test - 2021 Troy High School Invitational
- Practice Test - 2021 BirdSO Invitational
- Practice Test - 2022 National Invitational
- Practice Test - 2022 UChicago Invitational
Event Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Food Science Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Workshop video: Explore Food Science with the University of Delaware
- Info page: Explore Food Science at the University of Delaware
- Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Career Cluster Information
- CareerOneStop - Food Scientists and Technologists Career Video
- STEM Connector - Food and Agriculture is STEM E-Book