Welcome to Fossils! In this event, teams identify and classify fossils and demonstrate their knowledge of ancient life. Tasks will be related to interpretation of past environments and ecosystems, adaptations, evolutionary relationships, and the use of fossils in dating and correlating rock units.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2024 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence.
Resources & Links
- 2024 Official Fossil List
- Geologic Time Scale
- Getting into the Fossil Record – Educational module for students in grades 5-8 and 9-12 that teaches how fossils form)
- Virtual Petrified Wood Museum – Fossil identification, classification, descriptions, information about groups & Practice Tests
- Fossils Facts and Finds
- The Paleontology Portal – Excellent site with Fossil Gallery, Famous Fossil Locations, K-12 resources
- History of Earth & Life – University of Maryland course notes
- Library of Congress – Dinosaurs & Paleontology Resource Guide
- Dinomaynia – National Geographic Kids
- Dino Directory – Natural History Museum (London)
- PBS Eons – History of life on earth series; numerous episodes
- What Caused the Cambrian Explosion?
- 5 Major Extinctions – Bright Side
- The Time Terror Birds Invaded – PBS Eons
- When Sea Lizards Crushed Sea Lilies – The Mesozoic Marine Revolution
- How Do We Organize the History of Life – Royal Terrell Museum
- What Makes a Dinosaur a Dinosaur – Royal Terrell Museum
- Fossil ID Cards
- The Fossil Record - Modes of Life
- Fossil Websites and Resources
SCIENCE OLYMPIAD STORE MATERIALS
- New! 2024 Fossils Starter Pack
- 2022 National Test Packet
- 2021 National Test Packet
- 2020 National Test Packet
PRACTICE PROBLEMS & TESTS
- Coming soon!
EVENT SUPERVISOR RESOURCES
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Fossils Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Event Logistics Manual