Please do not use this form for EVENT RULE questions as they must be submitted by selecting one of the 46 events listed. This page refers to questions that apply to all events and to Science Olympiad in general.
- 2008-08-21 13:11 General Rule 4 on the last page of each manual states that participants may not communicate with the outside. How will the laptops be checked to insure that their internet capability is disabled?
Event Supervisors are not willing to share their methods of insuring that students do not communicate with the outside during an event.
- 2008-08-21 13:12 In past years, there have been live links for the various events to access online resources. Did I miss them, or is there a change in policy?
Material on the website has been contributed by coaches, event supervisors and workshop presenters from all levels of competition. Any additional material will be posted as it becomes available. If you would like to contribute material (non-copyright) please contact the Science Olympiad National Office.
- 2008-08-21 13:13 When will the Rules Manual be sent?
Depends on where the order was sent, when it was sent, and if the order was received.
First check with your main/business office to determine if and when the order was sent and to whom it was sent. Do not assume that if you gave your office an order that it was sent. It often takes as much as 6 weeks before orders are approved by the school board. If it has been more than 7 working days since your order was actually sent, you may want to call the office that it was sent to, to determine if your order was indeed received.
- 2008-08-21 13:13 Where can I find answers to questions about the rules?
Answers to all questions about rules can generally be found in the Rules Manual by reading the rules carefully. The Clarifications and individual Event FAQ pages have only selected answers to corrections or common misunderstandings.
- 2008-08-21 13:14 Where is the best website to obtain info and materials on how to make devices for competion?
Researching information is part of the competition and is the responsibility of the contestants. Some information available from Science Olympiad on the internet can be located on the page for that event. To access event pages, go to Event Info, Division, event name.
- 2008-08-21 13:17 Why aren't the rules on the web?
The rules are copyrighted and may not be placed on the web without the permission of the Science Olympiad National Executive Board of Directors. They have voted unanimously NOT to post the rules on the website for numerous reasons. Some issues and concerns that had an impact on the decision were; membership timing and delays, graphics and charts, bogus electronic copies, school's inability to download or open documents, downloading platforms and other problems. Other Science Olympiad manuals (but not the Rules Manual) contribute to the revenue which keeps the organization financially sound and able to provide the high-quality educational experience that it does.
Additional copies of the Rules Manual may be purchased from the Science Olympiad store on this website.
- 2008-08-21 13:17 How far in advance of the regional and state tournaments are the schedules sent out so coaches can figure out student placement in events?
This depends on each tournament Director's timeline. You may need to inquire about the schedule directly with each of your directors. The very tentative national schedule is generally posted in the Coaches Manuals.
- 2008-08-21 13:19 If our school has two teams, are students allowed to participate with both teams?
No, students may not compete on 2 teams in the same tournament.
- 2008-08-21 13:20 May a 9th grader compete in both the B division and C division, since B is 6-9 and C is 9-12?
No, you must choose one or the other at a tournament. You may not be on two rosters at the same tournament.
- 2008-08-21 13:21 What is the policy of using resources during competition this year?
Allowed resources are different for each event. Please read each Event Rule and the General Rules in the Rules Manual for information on using resources.
- 2008-08-21 13:23 May a team member participate in the state competition if they cannot participate in the regional competition?
Each tournament is independently organized. Your team may be composed of any students who meet the requirements. They do not have to be the same as those who competed in previous tournaments.
- 2008-08-21 13:24 I was looking for FAQs for an event, but there aren't any questions or answers for that event.
You are correct. There are very few questions and answers posted this year because the rules have been generally well written and we have received few questions that are worthy of posting. We are responding to all questions that come in but be aware that responses may take up to a week. Please be sure to read the parameters that we use to decide what questions we will or will not answer. These parameters may be found at Event Info/FAQs...
- 2008-08-21 13:26 On what dates are the regional, state, and national tournaments, or where might I find them?
Contact your Regional and State Director for information about those tournaments. All known future National Tournament dates can be found on the "Tournaments" page on this website and in the current Rules Manual.
- 2008-08-21 13:49 Where are the event rules on this website? I would like to be able to print the rules instead of copying from someone else's manual.
The rules are copyrighted and may not be placed on any website. Copies of the Rules Manual containing the rules for all events are generally sent to the coach when a team is registered. Additional copies may be purchased from the Science Olympiad Store on this website.
- 2008-11-26 14:15 Why aren't the schedules for nationals, state and regionals all the same? It is very difficult to reorganize the teams at every level of competition because of time conflicts with the studied events. Why aren't all competitions required to be con...
There are 500 different tournaments with 500 different sets of unique limitations. The national schedule is posted in September. You might ask your local tournament director but keep in mind that they must build their schedules around limitations such as availability of space, event supervisors, equipment, etc.
- 2012-10-26 14:31 How much is the initial registration fee?
The National registration fee is $60 per team and is included in the state registration fee. Please check with your State Director to register. State websites can be accessed through the www.soinc.org
- 2015-11-12 14:30 Can we laminate cheat sheets?
See General Rule #1.