Welcome to Optics! In this event, teams must participate in an activity involving positioning mirrors to direct a laser beam towards a target and are tested on their knowledge of geometric and physical optics.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2024 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence.
Resources & Links
- Science Olympiad information on use of Lasers - follow for all Optics activities
- 1-Minute YouTube Optics MINI on Science Olympiad TV
- BYU Optics Book (PDF - Big Download - 16MB)
- Optics Handout on Reflection (PDF)
- Optics Handout on Lenses (PDF)
- Optics Handout on Multiple Lenses (PDF)
- Physics Simulations on University of Colorado Site
SO STORE & WARD'S SCIENCE MATERIALS
EVENT Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Optics Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Score sheet 2024 Score Sheet and and Team Checklist
- Science Olympiad Mathematics Guidelines for Physics Events - The Science Olympiad Physics Rules Committee has prepared these guidelines to help Event Supervisors target their questions to the mathematical ability that students bring to the events. This information may be useful to teams as they assign team members to Physics Events as well as they prepare for those events.
- Event Logistics Manual