Welcome to Ornithology! In this event, participants will be assessed on their knowledge of North American birds.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence.
Resources & Links
- National Audubon Society
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology Bird Guide + Bird Identification
- US Fish & Wildlife Service
- All About Birds
- Electronic book on Bird Life History of Familiar North American Birds
- State of the Bird report
- Patuxent Wildlife Research Center bird population studies
- Avian biology notes
- Anatomy of birds diagram
- External Anatomy of birds notes
- USGS bird identification tips
- Bird identification guide
- Bird song recordings
- More bird song recordingsGuide to Choosing and Using Field Guides for Ornithology
- 2020 Science Olympiad Ornithology Power Point
- Ornithology Training Overview Handout
Science Olympiad Store Materials
- Ornithology Starter Pack - New for 2022!
- Life Sciences Starter Stack - All the 2022 Bio Events!
- Taxonomy CD in the Science Olympiad store
- 2022 National Test Packet
- 2021 National Test Packet
Practice Problems & Tests
- Practice Test - 2021 UT Austin Invitational
- Practice Test - 2021 Troy High School Invitational
- Practice Test - 2021 BirdSO Invitational
- Example Ornithology Tournament
Event Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Ornithology Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Event Logistics Manual - (Updated 01/05/22 - made a minor edit to Food Science and added the updated ceiling height modifiers for the Flight events) Contains information for the 2022 Event Slate as well as information concerning COVID-19 precautions and Satellite and mini SO tournament formats!