Welcome to Solar System! In this event, students will demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of planet formation and structure in our solar system and how it relates to that observed in extrasolar systems.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence. This event is supported by NASA's Universe of Learning Astrophysics STEM Learning and Literacy Network.
Resources & Links
- Chandra Science Olympiad Webinar Site
- NASA Solar System Exploration
- NASA Image Gallery
- Eyes on Exoplanets
- Voyager 2
- New Horizons
- CFA Microobservatory
- JPL PlanetQuest
- NASA Universe of Learning
- Webb Telescope Community Events
- Recommended Textbook - Astrophysics of Planet Formation by Phillip J. Armitage (2020)
- Recommended Textbook - Fundamental Planetary Science by Jack J. Lissauer (2019)
Practice Problems & Tests
- 2022 info coming soon!
Event Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Solar System Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Event Logistics Manual - Updated for 2022 with new information concerning COVID-19 precautions, running the event in Satellite and mini SO tournament formats, and more tips on the event!