Welcome to Disease Detectives! In this event, participants will use their investigative skills in the scientific study of disease, injury, health, and disability in populations or groups of people.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence. This event is presented in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Foundation.
Resources & Links
- CDC Science Olympiad page
- 2020 Power Point - Verified Resource!
- 2020 Internet Resources - Verified Resource!
- Food-Borne Illness Chart from the FDA
- Disease Detectives Training Overview Handout
- Disease Detectives Background & Surveillance Notes
- Disease Detectives Outbreak Investigation Notes
- Disease Detectives Patterns, Control, and Prevention Notes
- Links from CDC
- Epiville (Outbreak Simulation Columbia University)
Science Olympiad Store Materials
- Disease Detectives Starter Pack - New for 2022!
- Life Sciences Starter Stack - All the 2022 Bio Events!
Practice Problems & Tests
- 2020 Sample Test
- 2019 Sample Test
- 2018 Sample Test
- 2017 Sample Test
- Sample Disease Detective Test & Key - Division B
- Elementary Sample Exam/Answers 2011
Event Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Disease Detective Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Event Logistics Manual - Updated for 2022 with new information concerning COVID-19 precautions, running the event in Satellite and mini SO tournament formats,and more tips on the event!