Science Olympiad + Workforce Development
Employment in science, technology, engineering and math occupations has grown 79% since 1990, from 9.7 million to 17.3 million today, outpacing overall US job growth. In 2018, 71% of all jobs required STEM skills, according to the Pew Research Center.
Science Olympiad Prepares Students for Careers
STEM co-curricular programs like Science Olympiad provide young adults with a glimpse into the future by providing opportunities for career exploration and mentoring, achieving results: 75% of female students who have a mentor feel they will be successful pursuing a STEM career.
A recent Science Olympiad grad from Cornell University said: "Science Olympiad led me to explore new avenues of science and engineering, but most importantly, I built leadership skills, the ability to work on a team, and better problem-solving approaches. The effects are material when I work on group projects or need to cooperate with other people."
Watch > Experience Science Olympiad
Watch > Science Olympiad's MY SO STEM Session featuring alumnus Emily Briskin, an epidemiologist from Doctors Without Borders
Science Olympiad Helps Schools With Career Exploration and Preparation
Through rigorous, multidisciplinary events touching every letter in STEM, Science Olympiad lights pathways to apprenticeships, college and careers while at the same time developing essential employability skills. According to a LinkedIn survey of hiring managers, the three top soft skills in new employees are communication, organization and teamwork. Participation in Science Olympiad is the perfect springboard to jobs in the 16 National Career Clusters as endorsed by Advance CTE.
- Science Olympiad Program of Work Table Sample
- Illinois PaCE Career and Activity Planner - 8th to 12th Grade
New for 2020-2021! Science Olympiad is officially recognized as a Career and Technical Student Organization by the Illinois State Board of Education, making schools and community colleges in Illinois with Career and Technical Education programs eligible for federal Perkins V funds! Join a team now!
Science Olympiad Connects Employers with the Workforce of the Future
Companies are also paying attention to workforce trends. According to Net Impact Research:
- 87% of employees feel more loyal to their company if it supports a cause
- 53% of working professionals state the ability to make an impact is essential to on-the-job happiness
- Employees who feel they made an impact while on the job are 2x more likely to stay
Workforce Development Spotlight > HP + Science Olympiad
Want to Get Involved? Join Us!
- Mentor students on a Science Olympiad team at a school near you in events aligned to your industry or skill set
- Volunteer with a Science Olympiad State Chapter or tournament locally
- Use your Employee Resource Group to support Science Olympiad with volunteer hours or employee matching funds
- Learn more about Science Olympiad's partnership with Million Women Mentors
Breaking News! Science Olympiad is officially recognized as a Career and Technical Student Organization by the Illinois State Board of Education!