Below you'll find a variety of resources to help you act as an Event Supervisor at a Science Olympiad Invitational, Regional, State or National Tournament. For more information about your State Science Olympiad Organization, see our list of 50 State websites. All supervisors should be familiar with the Code of Ethics and General Rules, Scoring Policies and should review the Scoring Best Practices document.
For 2021, all volunteers and Event Supervisors at the local, state and national level must complete this 10-minute online Volunteer Training. You will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end. If you have already completed the training, thank you!
Interested in becoming an Event Supervisor? Fill out an application here!
Event Logistics Manual - Updated for 2021 with new information concerning COVID-19 precautions and Satellite and mini SO tournament formats! Essential information about the best spaces to run particular events, estimated hours of preparation time, minimum suggested supplies to run the event, the number of helpers needed and tips about events from the National Rules Committee Chairs and National Event Supervisors.
If you are an Event Supervisor for any level of a Science Olympiad Tournament, you must use the official event rules from the current year's manual only. Science Olympiad provides the entire 2021 Rules Manuals for Division B and Division C as free, downloadable PDFs. You can obtain your copy at the Science Olympiad Store as of 9.8.20. Print copies are still available for sale.
Each of the individual Science Olympiad event pages on this main Science Olympiad site contains Power Points, Training Handouts, Sample Score Sheets and other valuable free resources that you can use to understand each Science Olympiad event. Many event pages also contain links to Event Supervisor Guides. Please use the resources below to help prepare for your events. You may also view 1-minute video clips of events on our YouTube Science Olympiad TV Channel.
Test Writing Resources for Event Supervisors
- Webb's Depth of Knowledge (DOK) Wheel and Question Stems
- This resource helps to identify question difficulty based on the verbs used or the action expected of the participant
- The DOK Wheel can help you move past recall or simple application questions
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Alignment for all 46 Events
Scoring Resources for Your Tournament
- Free download - Excel-based Scoring System for Sanctioned Science Olympiad Tournaments
- Free download - Tournament and Scoring Management System for Sanctioned Science Olympiad Tournaments
Score Sheets and Team Checklists for Tech/Engineering + Physics Events - All on one page with the most updated version for 2021
- Boomilever B/C
- Circuit Lab B/C
- Density Lab B
- Elastic Launched Glider B
- Gravity Vehicle C
- Machines B/C
- Mission Possible B
- Mousetrap Vehicle B
- Ping Pong Parachute B/C
- Sounds of Music C
- Wright Stuff C
Supervisor Guides and Sample Items
Anatomy & Physiology Division B & C Division Event Supervisor Guide for 2020
See the Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Water Quality, Ornithology and Designer Genes/Heredity Pages for Sample Tests that can be viewed to prepare your own original tests for tournaments - use as a sample only! (Posted early winter each year)
Astronomy Division C
- 2019 Event Supervisor Power Point and Detailed Instructions
- 2019 MIT Invitational Sample Image Set, Test and Key
- 2019 UChicago Invitational Sample Image Set, Test and Key
- Sample Image Sets, Tests, Answer Sheets & Keys for 2017 Maryland Regional, 2017 MIT Invitational, 2017 Golden Gate Invitational
- 2017 National Cathedral Invitational Sample Image Set, Test, Answer Sheet and Key
- 2016 Annotated Sample State-Level Test with Instructions
- 2016 Annotated Sample Regional-Level Test with Instructions
- 2016 Regional-Invitational Image Sets
- 2015 Astronomy Answer Pages
- 2015 Astronomy Answer Key
- Webinars from NASA/Harvard's Chandra X-Ray Observatory
Preparing Solutions for Science Olympiad Bio/Chem Events
Designer Genes Division C Event Supervisor Guide for 2020
Disease Detectives Divisions B & C Event Supervisor Guide for 2020
Experimental Design Division B/C - Scoring Explanation
Heredity Division B Event Supervisor Guide for 2020
Reach for the Stars B
- Sample Test
- Sample Images
- Sample Key
Use as a guide only; each site must make their own original test!
Ornithology Division B/C Event Supervisor Guide for 2020
Sounds of Music Division C Event Supervisor Guide for 2020
Water Quality Division B/C Event Supervisor Guide for 2020
Webinars from NASA/Harvard's Chandra X-Ray Observatory
Using Data Collection Technology in Science Olympiad Events