Below you'll find a variety of resources to help you act as an Event Supervisor at a Science Olympiad Invitational, Regional, State or National Tournament.
- Interested in becoming an Event Supervisor? Fill out an application here!
- For 2022, all volunteers and Event Supervisors at the local, state and national level must complete this 10-minute online Volunteer Training. You will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end. If you have already completed the training, thank you!
- If you are an Event Supervisor for any level of a Science Olympiad Tournament, you must use the official event rules from the current year's manual only. Science Olympiad provides the entire 2022 Rules Manuals for Division B and Division C as free, downloadable PDFs. You can obtain your copy on this website as of 9.7.21.
- All supervisors should be familiar with the Code of Ethics and General Rules and Scoring Policies.
- For more information about your State Science Olympiad Organization, see our list of 50 State websites.
Event Specific Resources for Event Supervisors
- National Invitational Instructions & Event Modifications (New 12/07/21) - Event Supervisors & Tournament Directors interested in instructions and modifications made to events being run at the National Invitational Tournament to accommodate the Satellite tournament format may access them through the link provided.
- Detector Building Solution Instructions (Posted 12/13/21)
- Electric Wright Stuff Updated Ceiling Height Modifiers (New 12/07/21)- This link will take Event Supervisors to the updated ceiling height modifiers being used for the National Invitational Tournament. These modifiers are different from the modifiers published in the 2022 Event Logistics Manual and reflect limited performance testing and data collection using the 2022 Electric Wright Stuff plane design specifications.
- Event Logistics Manual - (Updated 01/05/22 - made a minor edit to Food Science and added the updated ceiling height modifiers for the Flight events) Contains information for the 2022 Event Slate as well as information concerning COVID-19 precautions and Satellite and mini SO tournament formats! Essential information about the best spaces to run particular events, estimated hours of preparation time, minimum suggested supplies to run the event, the number of helpers needed and tips about events from the National Rules Committee Chairs and National Event Supervisors.
- 2022 Gravity Vehicle Track Diagram (Updated 12/06/21)
- 2022 Mousetrap Vehicle Track Diagram (Updated 10/21/21)
- 2022 Alternate Mousetrap Vehicle Track Diagram (Posted 12/06/21)
- Storm the Castle Counterweight Instructions (Updated - 11/19/21) These instructions can be used to build low cost PVC pipe counterweights for Storm the Castle that can be used for practice and tournaments. The update fixes some issues around sizing the counterweight to make sure the overall size of each counterweight complies with Section 6.d. of the published rules.
- Storm the Castle Examples of Energy Violations (New 11/11/21) - This document represents the document referenced in the Event Rule Section 3.d. It details example violations, allowable types, and mechanisms for testing for added energy.
- WiFi Lab Transmitter Construction & Setup Guide - (New 10/21/21) Follow the instructions here to create a WiFi Lab transmitter that meets event specifications which can be used at tournaments to test team devices.
- Wright Stuff Updated Ceiling Height Modifiers (New 12/07/21) - This link will take Event Supervisors to the updated ceiling height modifiers being used for the National Invitational Tournament. These modifiers are different from the modifiers published in the 2022 Event Logistics Manual and reflect performance testing and data collection using the 2022 Wright Stuff plane design specifications.
- Each of the individual Science Olympiad event pages on this main Science Olympiad site contains resources, links, diagrams, score sheets and other valuable free resources that you can use to understand each Science Olympiad event. You can access the individual Science Olympiad event pages using these links:
- The YouTube Science Olympiad TV Channel has instructional videos, STEM Session career videos, vintage footage and tournament ceremonies that may be helpful as you prepare for your events.
Test Writing Resources for Event Supervisors
- Test Writing for Science Olympiad Presentation (1/12/22)
- Science Olympiad Mathematics Guidelines for Physics Events - The Science Olympiad Physics Rules Committee has prepared these guidelines to help Event Supervisors target their questions to the mathematical ability that students bring to the events.
- Webb's Depth of Knowledge (DOK) Wheel and Question Stems
- This resource helps to identify question difficulty based on the verbs used or the action expected of the participant
- The DOK Wheel can help you move past recall or simple application questions
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Alignment for all 46 Events
Scoring Resources for Your Tournament
- Free download - Excel-based Scoring System for Sanctioned Science Olympiad Tournaments
- Free download - Tournament and Scoring Management System for Sanctioned Science Olympiad Tournaments
Score Sheets and Team Checklists for Tech/Engineering + Physics Events - All on one page with the most updated version for 2022
- Bridge B/C
- Detector Building C
- Electric Wright Stuff B
- Gravity Vehicle C
- It's About Time C
- Mission Possible B
- Mousetrap Vehicle B
- Ping Pong Parachute B/C
- Sounds of Music B
- Storm The Castle B
- Trajectory C
- Wifi Lab C
- Wright Stuff C
Supervisor Guides and Sample Tests
Anatomy & Physiology Division B & C Division Event Supervisor Guide
Astronomy Division C - Samples
- 2019 Event Supervisor Power Point and Detailed Instructions
- 2019 MIT Invitational Sample Image Set, Test and Key
- 2019 UChicago Invitational Sample Image Set, Test and Key
- Sample Image Sets, Tests, Answer Sheets & Keys for 2017 Maryland Regional, 2017 MIT Invitational, 2017 Golden Gate Invitational
- 2017 National Cathedral Invitational Sample Image Set, Test, Answer Sheet and Key
- 2016 Annotated Sample State-Level Test with Instructions
- 2016 Annotated Sample Regional-Level Test with Instructions
- 2016 Regional-Invitational Image Sets
- 2015 Astronomy Answer Pages
- 2015 Astronomy Answer Key
- Webinars from NASA/Harvard's Chandra X-Ray Observatory
Preparing Solutions for Science Olympiad Bio/Chem Events
Disease Detectives Divisions B & C Event Supervisor Guide
Experimental Design Division B/C - Scoring Explanation
Ornithology Division B/C Event Supervisor Guide
Webinars from NASA/Harvard's Chandra X-Ray Observatory
Using Data Collection Technology in Science Olympiad Events