Welcome to Environmental Chemistry! This event will focus on fresh water (e.g., residential, industrial or natural), the identified pages of The Clean Water Act (1972 & 1977), wastewater operator’s certification manual (Indiana March 2018 revision) and its applications, various testing of particular analytes using standardized curves (either interpreted or created), and stabilization ponds, & introduction to the National Pretreatment Program.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence.
Resources & Links
Science Olympiad Store Materials
Texas Instruments makes material available to Science Olympiad teams through their Educator Loan program. Teams interested in borrowing equipment to practice with learn more about this program here.
Practice Problems & Tests
- Practice Test - 2021 UT Austin Invitational
- Practice Test - 2021 BirdSO Invitational
- Practice Test - 2022 National Invitational
- Practice Test - 2022 SOLVI Invitational
- Practice Test - 2022 MIT Invitational
- Practice Test - 2022 Northwestern Invitational
- Practice Test - 2022 UChicago Invitational
- Test and Answer Key from 2009 Science Olympiad National Tournament
- Sample Test from 2008 National Tournament
Event Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Environmental Chemistry Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Recommended Lab Equipment List
- Event Logistics Manual - (Updated 01/05/22 - made a minor edit to Food Science and added the updated ceiling height modifiers for the Flight events) Contains information for the 2022 Event Slate as well as information concerning COVID-19 precautions and Satellite and mini SO tournament formats!