Ah, summer! Time for sleeping in, mosquito bites, and… hands-on, inquiry-based STEM activities! Whether you're a parent, camp instructor, or Science Olympiad participant, we have what you need to keep learning, have fun, and maybe even get a head start on next year.
Need any of these?
- Curriculum for a summer camp
- Hands-on materials for make-and-take activities
- Just *something* to pass the time on a hot afternoon
We've got you covered. Check out all the opportunities for students in grades K-12.
Elementary Science Olympiad
Elementary Science Olympiad provides hands-on fun for students in grades K-6 - for home, school, camp, science museums, and more!
We have KITS!
- The Elementary Science Olympiad Signature kits provide materials and instructions for fun activities like Rock Hound, Bottle Music, and Gummi Bear Long Jump! Great for individual kids, small groups, and pick-up-and-go materials. (price: varies)
- The Elementary Science Olympiad In-A-Box kit provides materials and equipment for ten hands-on activities and up to 20 participants. Perfect for a classroom, summer camp, or family STEM night. (price: $350) Run a professional development for school or camp staff, using our Science Olympiad Professional Development Manual! (price: $31.80)
We have CURRICULUM!
- The Fun Day Fun Night Manual contains more than 50 events, handouts and worksheets for fun, non-competitive STEM activities. (price: $15)
- The Competitive Tournament Manual contains nearly 100 events, handouts and worksheets and detailed information on organizing an elementary tournament. (price: $15)
- The Elementary Science Olympiad for All Manual contains ten ESO events and includes detailed instructions on accomodating the needs of students with learning disabilities and learning differences. (price: $10)
- The Virtual Fun Day/Night Manual shares detailed instructions, including checklists and scripts, for hosting an online STEM exploration event. Includes instructions in Spanish! (price: $25)
- The Club Lesson Plans manual has fifteen 90-minute lessons, with corresponding worksheets, designed to serve a group of 20 students. In addition, step by step directions, with scripts, are included. (price: $26)
- See this sample SUMMER CAMP SCHEDULE!
We have FREE STUFF!
- The Science Olympiad TV YouTube channel contains six Science Olympiad At Home videos. The videos contain activity directions and explanations for some of our most popular Elementary Science Olympiad activities, like Save the Ice!, Straw Tower, and Mission Possible. Materials for these activities are easy to find around the house or at your local grocery store or "big box" store.
- Links to more activities and resources are on the Elementary Science Olympiad page.
Science Olympiad for Middle & High School
Science Olympiad for middle school (Division B) and high school (Division C) provides students with opportunities to learn about all facets of STEM, from biology and boomilevers, to epidemiology and engineering.
Even though the 2023 Rules Manuals won't drop until September 6, participants can still take advantage of the extra time in the summer to start preparing for the new season either independently or in a Science Olympiad-themed camp!
We have STUDY RESOURCES!
- The Starter Packs and Stacks will give students the foundation for many of the Division B and Division C events. Get a jumpstart on note taking and study binders! (price: varies)
- The Event Pages for Division B and Division C also have free and paid resources.
- The MY SO lesson plans, slideshows, and practice tests are free to download and contain full, 5E lesson plans that are aligned to national standards and cover topics found in the Science Olympiad competitions, including astronomy, weather, flight, and rocks & minerals.
- See the MY SO and Events Chart and a sample 3-Day camp plan, using the MY SO Engineering Lesson Plan!
We have PARTNER RESOURCES!
- Get ready for Write It CAD It by taking the OnShape CAD training and getting certified this summer!
- Get ready for Disease Detectives with the brand-new CDC NERD Academy resources!
- Learn about statistics (for rising 6th and 7th graders) with the CDC National Center for Health Statistics Data Detectives Camp.
- Dive deeper into the Astronomy and Solar System events with NASA's Webb Telescope resources and information.
Are you a Science Olympiad coach who wants to get a jumpstart on the season? Get the Science Olympiad Coaching Program to start prepping for a great year! Better yet, use some of the lesson plans in a summer camp for your team to start building the lab event, knowledge event and build event skills your participants will need.
Having fun this summer with Science Olympiad resources? Tag us on Twitter and tell us about it! (@soalumninetwork)