Welcome to Bridge! In this event, teams will design and build a Bridge (Structure) meeting requirement specified in these rules to achieve the highest structural efficiency.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2023 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence. This event is generously supported by the Cleveland-Cliffs Foundation & SkyCiv.
Resources & Links
- 2023 Division B Bridge Sample Plan
- 2023 Division C Bridge Sample Plan
- 2023 Bridge Loading Block & Sticks Diagram
- Failure Diagnosis & Example Design Log Book
- Division B Bridge Photos - Whole Bridge - Arch - Ladder - Truss - Back
- Division C Bridge Photos - Whole Bridge - Arch 1 - Arch 2 - Beam - Subtruss - Truss
- 2022 Bridge Construction & Test YouTube video
- 2022 Bridge Test Base Diagram
- Balsa gluing techniques
- Bridge basics
- Free bridge design software
- Types of wood joints
- SkyCiv Structural Engineering software for Science Olympiad!
- Simulate forces and stresses, enabling better prototyping and more efficient designs
- Includes a Science Olympiad app with a Competition mode to support the Digital Structures event
- Watch a walk through from SkyCiv on how to design and test your device virtually using their software
- Science Olympiad teams get 8 months of access for the greatly reduced rate of $50 per team.
- Use this link to purchase and learn more.
Ward's Science Resources
Event Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Bridge Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- 2023 Score sheet and team checklist
- Event Logistics Manual
- Bridge Facility Guide - Prepared by National Event Supervisors this document contains recommendations on how to arrange your event space to accommodate the 2023 Bridge Event.