Storm the Castle
Welcome to Storm the Castle! In this event, prior to the competition, teams will design, construct, and calibrate a single device capable of launching projectiles onto a target and collect data regarding device parameters and performance.
The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. You can find free online copies of the current rules for download on the 2022 Rules page of the Science Olympiad website. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence.
Resources & Links
- Ratio chart
- Effect of Trebuchet Arm Length or Counterweight Mass on Projectile Distance
- Examples of Energy Violations(New 11/11/21) - This document represents the document referenced in the Event Rule Section 3.d. It details example violations, allowable types, and mechanisms for testing for added energy.
Event Supervisor Resources
In addition to the resources on the Event Supervisors page, Storm the Castle Event Supervisors should be sure to use the following resources:
- Event Logistics Manual - (Updated 01/05/22 - made a minor edit to Food Science and added the updated ceiling height modifiers for the Flight events) Contains information for the 2022 Event Slate as well as information concerning COVID-19 precautions and Satellite and mini SO tournament formats!
- Storm the Castle Counterweight Instructions (Updated - 11/19/21) These instructions can be used to build low cost PVC pipe counterweights for Storm the Castle that can be used for practice and tournaments. The update fixes some issues around sizing the counterweight to make sure the overall size of each counterweight complies with Section 6.d. of the published rules.
- Science Olympiad Mathematics Guidelines for Physics Events - The Science Olympiad Physics Rules Committee has prepared these guidelines to help Event Supervisors target their questions to the mathematical ability that students bring to the events. This information may be useful to teams as they assign team members to Physics Events as well as they prepare for those events.